The final paper will be based on Appendix 6C Illustrative Audit Case: Keystone
Computers at pages 237-244 in your text. Write, in outline format but in
complete sentences, a 6 to10 page audit plan. It is recommended that you look at
Figure 18.8 on page 708, which shows the control objectives related to accounts
In your audit plan cover the steps necessary to determine if you should
select the client, the internal control procedures which need to be reviewed,
the substantive tests [using accounts receivable a guide], and the final
reporting steps. Based on the actual facts in the case determine the emphasis
you want to place on various accounts. Also reflect back over your entire
accounting program and think about how the accounts are interrelated. For
example, when allowance for doubtful accounts is credited the offset is to bad
debt expense. Therefore one of the steps should be to trace the debit side of
the entry to the balance for bad debt expense.
Make you comments as specific as possible. Rather than say look for unusual
entries, say look for entries from unusual sources and rounded amounts with
focus on those near an accounting cut off. Use precise language. Rather than
saying you vouched accounts payable, say that you looked at the item to
determine that it was a bona fide business expense. Remember to focus on the key
audit objectives and support needed after applying the audit risk model.
Remember, the purpose of the Final Paper is for you to culminate the learning
achieved in the course by describing your understanding and application of
knowledge in the field of accounting.
The Final Paper should focus on real life, real time application of topics
covered in this course; the uses you have seen and the uses you can envision.
The paper must be submitted to your instructor no later than the last day of
class. Earlier submittal is appreciated.
Writing the Research Paper
The Final Paper:
- Must be six- to ten- double-spaced pages in length and formatted according
to APA style as outlined in the approved APA style guide.
- Must include a cover page that includes:
- Student s name
- Course name and number
- Title of paper
- Instructor s name
- Date submitted
- Must include an introductory paragraph with a succinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
- Must conclude with a restatement of the thesis and a conclusion paragraph.
- Must use at least three scholarly resources, including a minimum of one from
the Ashford Online Library.
- Must use APA style as outlined in the approved APA style guide to document
- Must include, on the final page, a Reference Page that is completed
according to APA style as outlined in the approved APA style guide.