5 7 Recording Capital Projects Fund Transactions. In Erikus County, the Parks and Recreation Department constructed a library in one of the county s high growth areas. The construction was funded by a number of sources. Below is selected information related to the funding and closing of the Library Capital Project Fund. All activity related to the library construction occurred within the 2011 fiscal year.
1. The county issued $6,000,000, 4 percent bonds, with interest payable semiannually on June 30 and December 31. The bonds sold for 101 on July 30, 2010. Proceeds from the bonds were to be used for construction of the library, with all interest and premiums received to be used to service the debt issue.
2. A $650,000 federal grant was received to help finance construction of the library.
3. The Library Special Revenue Fund transferred $250,000 for use in construction of the library.
4. A construction contract was awarded in the amount of $6,800,000.
5. The library was completed on June 1, 2011, four months ahead of schedule. Total construction expenditures for the library amounted to $6,890,000. When the project was completed, the cost of the library was allocated as follows: $200,000 to land, $6,295,000 to building, and the remainder to equipment.
6. The capital projects fund was closed. It was determined that remaining funds were related to the bond issue, and thus they were appropriately transferred to the debt service fund.
Make all necessary entries in the capital projects fund general journal and the governmental activities general journal at the government-wide level.
5 8 Statement of Revenues, Expenditures, and Changes in Fund Balance. The pre-closing trial balance for the Annette County Public Works Capital Project Fund is provided below.
a. Prepare the June 30, 2011, statement of revenues, expenditures, and changes in fund balance for the capital projects fund.
b. Has the capital project been completed? Explain your answer.