Prepare a cash budget for Atlas Products, Inc for the first quarter of 2008, based on the following information.
The budgeting section of the corporate finance department of Atlas Products has received the following sales estimates from the marketing department:
Total Sales Credit Sales
December 2007 825,000 770,000
January 2008 730,000 690,000
February 2008 840,000 780,000
March 2008 920,000 855,000
The company has found that on average, about 25 percent of its credit sales are collected during the month when the sale is made, and the remaining 75 percent of credit sales are collected during the month following the sale. As a result, the company uses these figures for budgeting.
The company estimates its purchases at 60 percent of next month s sales, and payments for those purchases are budgeted to lag the purchases by one month.
Various disbursements have been estimated as follows:
Wages and salaries 250,000 290,000 290,000
Rent &n bsp; 27,000 27,000 27,000
Other expenses 10,000 12,000 14,000
In addition, a tax payment of $105,000 is due on January 15, and $40,000 in dividends will be declared in January and paid in March. Also, the company has ordered a $75,000 piece of equipment. Delivery is scheduled for early January, and payment will be due in February. The company s projected cash balance at the beginning of January is $100,000, and the company desires to maintain a balance of $100,000 at the end of each month.